The requested Workstation ID (##) is already in use by [User

Information and discussion about BR error codes.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin

John

The requested Workstation ID (##) is already in use by [User

Post by John »

The requested Workstation ID (##) is already in use by [UserName].

For some reason I can't launch a second session of BR!. I always get the message above. Any ideas why? I'm not running any other copies of BR!, just the one. It's not a timing issue. What must be reset? Should a reboot help?

Has anyone encountered this sort of glitchy behavior before?

using 4.18g

-john
John Bowman
dmeenen

Workstation already in Use

Post by dmeenen »

John,
First a couple of system details:

Are you using the client / server version of BR?
If a client session was terminated abormally, then the BR session for that user is still running on the server.
Have to either goto the server and run task manager, and quit the BR session for that user to clear it.

If you have WSID=Unique in wbconfig, using a local pc version of BR. this could also be a corrupt wbserver.dat file.

Delete the wbserver.dat file after exiting BR.

Hope this helps.
Doug
John

Post by John »

not client/server.

i'm running a debug version of BR!- so i occasionally die and ftp up errors, but rarely ever end task. neither have i done this morning.

I'm not use WSI=Unique.
rebooting does not work
after rebooting I changed my WSID - doing this lets me launch a second session (with the new wsid) but then I can't get a second session with the new WSID. Same message.

I haven't tried freeing the wbserver.dat yet - I'll try that next. Good idea - thanks.
John Bowman
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

John,

What BR debug version are you running? Maybe it's broken and somebody else could try it too and verify that.

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

More questions...

How are you launching the second session? Is it from a desktop shortcut that specifies a WSID on the command line? Or does your BRCONFIG.SYS set up WSIDs for particular users? Or are you shelling out from inside a running BR program?

What version of BR - 4.2? What release and date? Windows platform?

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

Ah Ha

I was using WSID=UNIQUE

That was the problem! It's now removed and behavior is normal again. :) Thank you!
John Bowman
John

Post by John »

I don't understand why when the "workstation XX already in use" error message comes up why BR! just doesn't wait a second and try again rather than make me do this manually everytime. It's really annoying that I can't launch two sessions quickly - It's lame that I have to click once... wait for it to launch and then click again. Perhaps this is something that could be enhanced a little in a future BR! release.

Thoughts?

-john