Will you share at the conference?

Discussion and announcements related to the BRGroup and ADS conferences.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

Will you share at the conference?

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi all,

I'm looking for people who would like to share at the conference. Would you be willing to show one (or more) of the following?:
1. your user interface (color scheme, fonts, graphics used, themes, just all-around nice looking screens to inspire us, or more)
2. an issue that you are having trouble with that you'd like the group's input on
3. how you do your menus - both within a single program or for your overall application. It's been a while since George showed us his menu and I don't believe we have had anyone else step up to the plate since. Takers?
4. How do you control access and permissions for different users in the same application? Through your menu system? INI files? Setup files? Other?
5. If you connect your BR application in any way to the internet - either to display data to remote users, or perhaps installation/update routines, please tell us about that.
6. ways that you use non-BR data with your BR data/application to extend its reach - spreadsheets, text files, other database products (SQL, etc), or anything else that I haven't thought of.
7. How you do data security for your application - encryption, access-control through passwords or other methods
8. Do you create install routines for your products? How do you distribute updates?
9. Simply show off some of your application so we can get a feel for what it does. No teaching necessary. Just a short demo to take us through it (or a part of it)
10. if I didn't cover the item that you are interested in sharing, we also have our beloved "Nifty Neato" segments where the audience shares cool tools and utilities (BR and non-BR) that they like to use, or some cool facet of their own application or any number of other things. There are no rules!

My dream would be to have MANY of these, but none of them would need to be all that long in duration. Whatever you are willing to share will be gratefully accepted. There is so much inspiration in your work. This is usually my favorite part of the conferences! And don't think that yours isn't worth sharing. There are many of us in the group who are not in the bleeding edge crowd and would appreciate even some simpler ideas that have worked well for you.

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Re: Will you share at the conference?

Post by Susan Smith »

Hey everybody, I am receiving emails from forum members who would love to see specific things discussed at the conference. If any of you know anything about these topics and would like to share a little bit, please contact me ASAP! Thanks.

-- Susan

These were the requests:
1. I’d love to see what others are doing in their “Normal” applications. What do the screens look like, what creative printing routines are being run.
2. What capabilities connecting to non-BR applications and what and how is anyone connecting to other services such as web-based tax services? Can BR do this or must we go to a third party software solution?
3. If anyone has a simple way of relating SCHEMAs to XML files I’d be interested in understanding the concept. I can build the XML files, but I don’t know how to verify against a SCHEMA.