MyEdit - portable install

Discussion about software products provided for the BR community and created by its members. This includes (but is not limited to): MyEdit, File IO, Screen IO, FNSnap, and Utilities written in other languages for use with Business Rules.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

MyEdit - portable install

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi Ryan,

The MyEdit documentation says that I can install MyEdit on a flash drive. How do I do this? I don't want to mess up my current installation on my desktop. But I'd like to be able to take it out to a client with me for an install tomorrow since I'm CERTAIN I've screwed some stuff up and will need to do a few last minute program tweaks on site.

And once I've done this, do I just determine the drive letter that the system has assigned to the flash drive and then edit the clients BRCONFIG.SYS file to add an editor statement? OR is there something unique that you do to

Is that all I need to do to hook it up with a flash drive? How do I move all of my customizations from my desktop installation to the flash drive one?

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

http://brwiki.ads.net/index.php?title=M ... ings_Files

the settings files of myeditbr on the brwiki should probably help a little.
rmills

RE: Myedit - portable install

Post by rmills »

There is two ways to accomplish a portable install.

You can run the installer and deselect the "Non-Portable" options then install it to the Flash drive.

The other way is to manually copy the .EXE and associated files (a la John's message) to a folder on the Flash Drive. There is a command line option that you need to provide to force a "portable" setup, /forceportable I believe, to tell the Flash drive version of myedit to use the local files rather than the installed files on the local machine.

I can't confirm the command line option at the moment but I will ASAP.

Ryan.
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Thanks Ryan and John. I like the idea of copying the EXE and associated files (assuming that I snag them all). It seems like I'd be much less apt to mess up my desktop installation that way. I'll hang loose til you get a chance to get back with that command line option and I'll give it a try.

It's interesting. I can see myself assembling a flash drive with all of my favorite tools and resources to take out to client sites with me - just like the little box of diskettes I once carried around in the DOS days. My how things come full circle! Of course now, you can get 32+gb flash drives, so there is no need for boxfull of anything!

-- Susan
rmills

Re: MyEdit - portable install

Post by rmills »

Susan Smith wrote:Hi Ryan,

The MyEdit documentation says that I can install MyEdit on a flash drive. How do I do this? I don't want to mess up my current installation on my desktop. But I'd like to be able to take it out to a client with me for an install tomorrow since I'm CERTAIN I've screwed some stuff up and will need to do a few last minute program tweaks on site.

And once I've done this, do I just determine the drive letter that the system has assigned to the flash drive and then edit the clients BRCONFIG.SYS file to add an editor statement? OR is there something unique that you do to

Is that all I need to do to hook it up with a flash drive? How do I move all of my customizations from my desktop installation to the flash drive one?

-- Susan
Hi Susan,

Ok, I was correct. /forceportable is the command line option needed to make MyEditBR behave properly on a USB install.

You need the following setup (Manually configured):

1) Make a folder on your USB key.
2) Copy all files and folders where you have MyEditBR installed on your main machine to the folder created in Step 1. (This will typically be "c:\program files\mills enterprise\myeditbr".)
3) Copy all files and folders from your MyEditBR data directory into the folder created in Step 1. (This data folder will be found in one of two different places depending on the operating system you have. WinXP: "c:\documents and settings\(your username)\Application Data\Mills Enterprise\MyEditBR") (Please replace (your username) with the appropriate value. :))

You need to edit your brconfig.sys file and add the command line option /forceportable) it to the EDITOR option there as well as point it to your new USB install of MyEditBR.

Once that is done, you should be good to go.

Hopefully that helps.

Ryan
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

I'm pulling an all-nighter tonight, so I really appreciate SIMPLE. THANK YOU!!!

-- Susan