[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by Susan Smith »

Steve,

I thought that you HAD to use OPEN #0 in GUI to print anything to the screen. Is that not true? How are you reducing the use of OPEN #0?

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:
v:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> st1:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
We are working to reduce significantly the Open #0’s in our GUI Version of our software because in our testing over Remote connections, there is a long redraw of the screen for each Open #0. Even if you do a screen freeze and thaw. You get the same pause length, just not the line by line screen redraw.
Doug Meenen

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by Doug Meenen »

Susan and all,
in the wbconfig.sys, brconfig.sys
SCREEN OPENDFLT SROW=1,SCOL=1,rows=30,cols=80,Picture=[IMG]mtst1.jpg,CAPTION=MAPP2 SYSTEM,MAXIMIZE
rem 3/6/09 Mapp2 default to open windows

This works if all of your windows are the same size. (do not have to use Open #0 in the program) Open #0 is basically a print newpage with fancy colors, and slows down the remote desktop systems - even if using scr_Freeze, scr_Thaw.

If the program is not this size for rows, cols, have to use Open #0 in the non-standard screen size programs.

Doug Meenen

--- On Mon, 5/18/09, Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net> wrote:
Subject: [BR_forum] OPEN #0:
To: "Business Rules Forum" <br_forum@ads.net>
Date: Monday, May 18, 2009, 10:05 AM

Steve,

I thought that you HAD to use OPEN #0 in GUI to print anything to the screen. Is that not true? How are you reducing the use of OPEN #0?

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

We are working to reduce significantly the Open #0’s in our GUI Version of our software because in our testing over Remote connections, there is a long redraw of the screen for each Open #0. Even if you do a screen freeze and thaw. You get the same pause length, just not the line by line screen redraw.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Stephen Koger

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by Stephen Koger »

Primarily we were overusing it. There are times when you have to as you stated. Primarily in our Menuing system we were doing it in between each menu screen. There are places where users expect delays. I want to work to incorporate those portions where it has to happen to be done when they expect a delay as much as we can. But the major revamp is in our menu’s. Because there is was no need to be redrawing the whole screen for each redraw of a menu. Part of it was we were using Open #0 to change the Caption. Because we were describing the Menu they are on in the Caption.

I found in my own testing that performance was best on GUI controls being cleared with the least delay and lag on remote connections was to do the following with everything it is put onto a screen. Create an array that your populate with the row and column where you printed something to the screen. Then when your ready to go to the next screen. Gosub to a subroutine specifically designed to print a null character to the first position of each position you had in the array. It disappears. I have attached an example program of what I am talking about.

The three buttons on the left disappear quickly even on a slow remote connection as opposed to a redraw of the page. You get a redraw to start with the print newpage. But the transition from the first three buttons on the screen to the second set of buttons is seamless even on a remote connection.

HTH

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:05 AM
To: Business Rules Forum

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->We are working to reduce significantly the Open #0’s in our GUI Version of our software because in our testing over Remote connections, there is a long redraw of the screen for each Open #0. Even if you do a screen freeze and thaw. You get the same pause length, just not the line by line screen redraw.
Attachments
clr_control.wb
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Susan Smith

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by Susan Smith »

That's a great explanation Doug. I was under the impression that the goal was to explicitly open #0 in all programs that write to the screen. However, I DID wonder why my screens were still working withOUT doing that. (I had a SCREEN OPENDFLT statement in my BRCONFIG.SYS). I was just holding my breath that it would keep working even though I wasn't sure why.

Thanks loads. This is MUCH more clear now.

-- Susan

Doug Meenen wrote:
Susan and all,
SCREEN OPENDFLT SROW=1,SCOL=1,rows=30,cols=80,Picture=[IMG]mtst1.jpg,CAPTION=MAPP2 SYSTEM,MAXIMIZE

This works if all of your windows are the same size. (do not have to use Open #0 in the program)  Open #0 is basically a print newpage with fancy colors, and slows down the remote desktop systems - even if using scr_Freeze, scr_Thaw.

If the program is not this size for rows, cols, have to use Open #0 in the non-standard screen size programs.

Doug Meenen

--- On Mon, 5/18/09, Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net> (susan@creativelyspeaking.net) wrote:
From: Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net> (susan@creativelyspeaking.net)
To: "Business Rules Forum" <br_forum@ads.net> (br_forum@ads.net)

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

We are working to reduce significantly the Open #0’s in our GUI Version of our software because in our testing over Remote connections,  there is a long redraw of the screen for each Open #0.    Even if you do a screen freeze and thaw.  You get the same pause length,  just not the line by line screen redraw.
GomezL

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by GomezL »

00010 OPEN #0: "SROW=1,SCOL=1,rows=30,cols=80,Picture=[IMG]mtst1.jpg,CAPTION=MAPP2 SYSTEM,MAXIMIZE",DISPLAY,OUTPUT
00020 LET MSG$(STR$(COUNT+=1)) ! PRINT FIELDS "1,70,N 10": COUNT+=1
00030 GOTO 10

I tried this program on my remote desktop, and it seems to run fairly well.

The “Blinkingâ€
Susan Smith

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by Susan Smith »

I'm glad you sent the example program (and a short clear one!) because I was watching your comment FLY over my head! But now I understand it. Thanks Steve.

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:
v:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> st1:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Primarily we were overusing it. There are times when you have to as you stated. Primarily in our Menuing system we were doing it in between each menu screen. There are places where users expect delays. I want to work to incorporate those portions where it has to happen to be done when they expect a delay as much as we can. But the major revamp is in our menu’s. Because there is was no need to be redrawing the whole screen for each redraw of a menu. Part of it was we were using Open #0 to change the Caption. Because we were describing the Menu they are on in the Caption.

I found in my own testing that performance was best on GUI controls being cleared with the least delay and lag on remote connections was to do the following with everything it is put onto a screen. Create an array that your populate with the row and column where you printed something to the screen. Then when your ready to go to the next screen. Gosub to a subroutine specifically designed to print a null character to the first position of each position you had in the array. It disappears. I have attached an example program of what I am talking about.

The three buttons on the left disappear quickly even on a slow remote connection as opposed to a redraw of the page. You get a redraw to start with the print newpage. But the transition from the first three buttons on the screen to the second set of buttons is seamless even on a remote connection.

HTH

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:05 AM

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->We are working to reduce significantly the Open #0’s in our GUI Version of our software because in our testing over Remote connections, there is a long redraw of the screen for each Open #0. Even if you do a screen freeze and thaw. You get the same pause length, just not the line by line screen redraw.

Stephen Koger

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by Stephen Koger »

Luis
Two things that I need to clarify. Not all of this slow down is experienced through RDP. We are experiencing it on slow machines using client/server. So it is truly an issue in BR. So what your experiencing has to be a product of how your RDP is configured and how your software was written. You have done far more performance optimization than we have. We are only just beginning now. If you watch even a standalone BR, it does do these redraws, just very quickly, and in fact in testing Screen Freeze doesn’t do the redraw.. but it does pause the length the redraw would have been. I will try to write and example of this to send to everyone.

We also use GotoAssist for our remote connections and are experiencing it while using that as well.

Yes I am aware that having the graphic background will cause some delay. But not all the full screen redraws that so many things cause.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Luis I. Gomez
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] OPEN #0:

00010 OPEN #0: "SROW=1,SCOL=1,rows=30,cols=80,Picture=[IMG]mtst1.jpg,CAPTION=MAPP2 SYSTEM,MAXIMIZE",DISPLAY,OUTPUT
00030 GOTO 10

The “Blinking” only seems to happen when you change something.

The background picture can’t help with performance, but even with it, performance seems ok.

I did notice that open #0 clears the button bar as well.

I am using BR 4.18e, perhaps they fixed something?

Luis I. Gomez
GomezL@CollectionSoftware.com (GomezL@CollectionSoftware.com)
1-800-435-7257
Commercial Legal Software, Inc.
http://www.CollectionSoftware.com

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Doug Meenen
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 11:50 AM

Susan and all,

This works if all of your windows are the same size. (do not have to use Open #0 in the program) Open #0 is basically a print newpage with fancy colors, and slows down the remote desktop systems - even if using scr_Freeze, scr_Thaw.

Doug Meenen

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

GomezL

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by GomezL »

I wasn’t talking about my app, Rather the 3 line demo I wrote.

Does this sequence help? (The freeze might hurt!)

Let SCR_FREEZE
PRINT #0 NEWPAGE
OPEN #0

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Stephen Koger
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:50 PM
To: 'Business Rules Forum'

Luis
Two things that I need to clarify. Not all of this slow down is experienced through RDP. We are experiencing it on slow machines using client/server. So it is truly an issue in BR. So what your experiencing has to be a product of how your RDP is configured and how your software was written. You have done far more performance optimization than we have. We are only just beginning now. If you watch even a standalone BR, it does do these redraws, just very quickly, and in fact in testing Screen Freeze doesn’t do the redraw.. but it does pause the length the redraw would have been. I will try to write and example of this to send to everyone.

We also use GotoAssist for our remote connections and are experiencing it while using that as well.

Yes I am aware that having the graphic background will cause some delay. But not all the full screen redraws that so many things cause.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Luis I. Gomez

00030 GOTO 10

The background picture can’t help with performance, but even with it, performance seems ok.

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Doug Meenen

Susan and all,

Doug Meenen

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

GomezL

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by GomezL »

This screenshot is intentionally a set of “Bizarre” colors. The point is each attribute is a different color to make it easy to identify.

The [W] Attribute is the pink color. It is the outside border and “N” or Normal color.

My problem is it is also shoing up as the color of the “POP UP Window”.

Review/Modify Claims is Black Text on the Pink Background.

This window is the “HELP” “HELP 1R;Review/Modify Claims”.

Any idea how to set this attribute?

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Stephen Koger

Luis

Steve

00030 GOTO 10

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

Susan and all,

Doug Meenen

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

Attachments
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (27.12 KiB) Viewed 12761 times
GomezL

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by GomezL »

I found my solution.
EXECUTE "CONFIG FIELDHELP N=[E],BORDER=S [F]"

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 3:26 PM

This screenshot is intentionally a set of “Bizarre” colors. The point is each attribute is a different color to make it easy to identify.

The [W] Attribute is the pink color. It is the outside border and “N” or Normal color.

My problem is it is also shoing up as the color of the “POP UP Window”.

Review/Modify Claims is Black Text on the Pink Background.

This window is the “HELP” “HELP 1R;Review/Modify Claims”.

Any idea how to set this attribute?

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

Luis

Steve

00030 GOTO 10

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

Susan and all,

Doug Meenen

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

Attachments
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (27.12 KiB) Viewed 12761 times
gordon

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by gordon »

Steve- You might consider using the profiler.
gordon

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Stephen Koger <steve.koger@m-a-c-s.com (steve.koger@m-a-c-s.com)> wrote:

Luis
Two things that I need to clarify.  Not all of this slow down is experienced through RDP.   We are experiencing it on slow machines using client/server.  So it is truly an issue in BR.   So  what your experiencing has to be a product of how your RDP is configured and how your software was written.  You have done far more performance optimization than we have.  We are only just beginning now. If you watch even a standalone BR, it does do these redraws, just very quickly, and in fact in testing Screen Freeze doesn’t do the redraw.. but it does pause the length the redraw would have been.   I will try to write and example of this to send to everyone.

Yes I am aware that having the graphic background will cause some delay.  But not all the full screen redraws that so many things cause.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Luis I. Gomez

00030 GOTO 10

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Doug Meenen

Susan and all,

This works if all of your windows are the same size. (do not have to use Open #0 in the program)  Open #0 is basically a print newpage with fancy colors, and slows down the remote desktop systems - even if using scr_Freeze, scr_Thaw.

Doug Meenen

--- On Mon, 5/18/09, Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net (susan@creativelyspeaking.net)> wrote:

From: Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net (susan@creativelyspeaking.net)>
To: "Business Rules Forum" <br_forum@ads.net (br_forum@ads.net)>
Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:
We are working to reduce significantly the Open #0’s in our GUI Version of our software because in our testing over Remote connections,  there is a long redraw of the screen for each Open #0.    Even if you do a screen freeze and thaw.  You get the same pause length,  just not the line by line screen redraw.

Stephen Koger

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by Stephen Koger »

Yes we are looking into that already. Both Doug and I recalled seeing the demo at conference and thought to ourselves that would be a good thing to take a look at. I will try to keep everyone updated on what we find that helps us optimize our GUI code.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gordon Dye
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:29 AM

gordon

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Stephen Koger <steve.koger@m-a-c-s.com (steve.koger@m-a-c-s.com)> wrote:
Luis

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Luis I. Gomez

00030 GOTO 10

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Doug Meenen

Susan and all,

Doug Meenen

--- On Mon, 5/18/09, Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net (susan@creativelyspeaking.net)> wrote:

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

GomezL

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by GomezL »

To actually profile the program is fairly simple

DEBUG PROFILE TIMED c:workPROFILE.TXT

And then

DEBUG PROFILE STOP

This will create C:WORKPROFILE.TXT

You can actually add the debug commands to your program to start and stop the process automatically.

EXE “DEBUG PROFILE TIMED c:workPROFILE.TXT”

That creates the text file. Once you have the text file, you can run it through my profile program, and it will give some very easy to read results. Or you can use the programs that DAN created, and that works great as well.

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:34 AM

Yes we are looking into that already. Both Doug and I recalled seeing the demo at conference and thought to ourselves that would be a good thing to take a look at. I will try to keep everyone updated on what we find that helps us optimize our GUI code.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gordon Dye

gordon
Luis

Steve

00030 GOTO 10

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

Susan and all,

Doug Meenen

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote:

gordon

[BR_forum] OPEN #0:

Post by gordon »

Both Dan's and Luis' profiler programs are on the FTP site under the profiler directory.
gordon

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Luis I. Gomez <GomezL@collectionsoftware.com (GomezL@collectionsoftware.com)> wrote:

To actually profile the program is fairly simple

DEBUG PROFILE TIMED c:workPROFILE.TXT

And then

DEBUG PROFILE STOP

This will create C:WORKPROFILE.TXT

You can actually add the debug commands to your program to start and stop the process automatically.

EXE “DEBUG PROFILE TIMED c:workPROFILE.TXT”

That creates the text file.   Once you have the text file, you can run it through my profile program, and it will give some very easy to read results.   Or you can use the programs that DAN created, and that works great as well.

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Stephen Koger
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:34 AM

Yes we are looking into that already. Both Doug and I recalled seeing the demo at conference and thought to ourselves that would be a good thing to take a look at.  I will try to keep everyone updated on what we find that helps us optimize our GUI code.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gordon Dye

gordon
Luis
Two things that I need to clarify.  Not all of this slow down is experienced through RDP.   We are experiencing it on slow machines using client/server.  So it is truly an issue in BR.   So  what your experiencing has to be a product of how your RDP is configured and how your software was written.  You have done far more performance optimization than we have.  We are only just beginning now. If you watch even a standalone BR, it does do these redraws, just very quickly, and in fact in testing Screen Freeze doesn’t do the redraw.. but it does pause the length the redraw would have been.   I will try to write and example of this to send to everyone.

Yes I am aware that having the graphic background will cause some delay.  But not all the full screen redraws that so many things cause.

Steve

00030 GOTO 10

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

Susan and all,

Doug Meenen

Steve,

-- Susan

Stephen Koger wrote: