[BR_forum] Masking Sensitive Data - SSN, Bank account #'s

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Doug Meenen

Post by Doug Meenen »

Masking SSN #'s, Bank Account #'s, Bank Routing #'s is now required by the Federal Govt, as I understand it, to prevent identity theft.

So in practice, instead of printing an SSN # on a report or other public document, you are required to print only the last 4 digits of the number.

if the SSN = 510-67-1234, you need to print ***-**-1234
same for other sensitive data.
The question is:
Is there a Pic statement or some other form statement that does this automatically?

If this is not in BR yet, then I am requesting it now.SPIC = Secure Pic statement

1. What are you doing to mask the sensitive data on bank deposit slips given out to payroll employees on direct deposit or other forms generated from a BR App that have this data on them?

2. How did you implement that?
Is there a function to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug Meenen

Doug Meenen
George Tisdale

Post by George Tisdale »

Attached is a function FNSPIC$ that will do as you suggest. The MASK statement is simply a normal PIC statement where the #### figures at the end are the only ones to show. The rest of the PIC statement gets turned into a character string and prepended to the number of digits specified.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585
Attachments
fnspic.br
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

SPIC sounds like an interest “new Feature”.

TAKE SSN$=”123-45-6789”

RINPUT FIELDS “10,10,SPIC(**-**-####)”:SSN$

The point is SSN$ would be displayed as **-**-6789 and allow the operator to view/edit the data without actually knowing the original value.

If the operator wanted, they could type an entire SSN #, and that would be accepted, they could also edit the last 4 digit if they wanted. The SSN$ would not display “123-45-“, but the operator could for example enter a new SSN #.

This would provide very secure data entry.

GomezL@CollectionSoftware.com (GomezL@CollectionSoftware.com)
http://www.CollectionSoftware.com
Doug Meenen

Post by Doug Meenen »

Susan, all interested parties,

I have attached 2 documents.
The first is from the Federal Trade Commission. - Guide for Business
The second talks about both Federal and California standards.

Doug Meenen
Attachments
wp_Data_Privacy_Legislation_04622.pdf
(138.58 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
FTC_-_Personal_Information_A_Guide_for_Business.pdf
(752.47 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I guess it would be useful if it also handled input. But wouldn't this be a new "Special Character" in the regular PIC statement, not a new SPIC statement?

It seems like it would be pretty easy to write your own function to do something like this...

gabriel
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

Now that you mention it, yes, just a new “Mask Symbol” would work fine.

GomezL@CollectionSoftware.com (GomezL@CollectionSoftware.com)
http://www.CollectionSoftware.com

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 12:14 PM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] Masking Sensitive Data - SSN, Bank account #'s

I guess it would be useful if it also handled input. But wouldn't this be a new "Special Character" in the regular PIC statement, not a new SPIC statement?

It seems like it would be pretty easy to write your own function to do something like this...

gabriel

Post by Guest »

According to what I understand, the display of data on a monitor is also required to be masked as an SSN, credit card, bank account, whole number displayed is also a security risk.

So having Rinput fields "x,x,SPIC(***-**-####)" - like Louis's example would handle that.

With BR now:
ssn$="123-45-6789"
Rinput fields "10,10,PIC(***-**-###)": SSN$ - shows the whole number on the screen

Presently, There is no insertion or replacement character to mask these numbers that I am aware of.

The important thing is not how it is implemented, but that IT IS put into the BR Language, as our competing software vendors already have this, and our clients are now asking us about it.

This is not only important, it is required.

Doug Meenen
George Tisdale

Post by George Tisdale »

If a special character is to be added to the PIC statement I vote for “Iâ€
gordon

Post by gordon »

After discussing this with Dan, I am of the opinion that providing a partially blocked edit feature would be unwise. Entering partially blocked fields can be tricky, particularly if the user arrows across or hits the delete key. It would be a mistake to allow single entry of sensitive blocked information. Either the data in the field should be entered twice, or it should be protected.

We already have the ability to enter data without displaying it as in password entry.

As for displaying partially blocked information, that is another matter.
That can be done a number of ways depending on how the data is stored.